Monday, 6 August 2012
Mr Price gee terug aan die gemeenskap op 18 Julie
Donderdag, 18 Julie, het Mr. Price besluit om die minderbevoorregde leerders van Laerskool Dr Havinga in Witpoortjie, te verras met ‘n spesiale kospakkie.
Volgens Dr Havinga se skakelbeampte, Me Anesta Zevenster het Dr Havinga tans 75 leerders wat hul daagliks voorsien van kos.
"Die initiatief was op oud President Mandela se verjaarsdag," sê Anesta.
Dit was hul 67 minute wat hulle by die skool gedeel het.
Anesta sê verder "Baie dankie Mr. Price."
Bach wie? Dr Havinga koor blink uit
Op...het die Senior koor van Dr Havinga onderskeidelik, ‘n A,A+ en A++ behaal tydens die jaarlikse RAK kunswedstryd wat by talle skole in Roodepoort plaasvind.
Dr Havinga se skakelbeampte, Me Anesta Zevenster, sê "die kore het baie mooi gesing,"
" Dit was pragtig. Baie dankie aan Mnr Johann, Mnr JW en Tannie Tina Langley wat die koor afgerig het."
Monday, 30 July 2012
De Waal alive when set alight
Johannesburg - Murdered teenager Louise de Waal was alive when she was set alight, the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton, heard on Wednesday.
Forensic specialist Gina Rowe testified that soot and bloodstained froth was found when she examined De Waal's trachea and bronchi.
"It was inhaled into her lungs."
Judge Sida Kolbe asked if De Waal was alive for this to happen, to which Rowe answered: "It would have been an indication of life".
Foot burnt off
De Waal's mother Shereen gasped "Oh, my God", putting her hands over her mouth. But Rowe said there was not a lot of soot in her trachea, and therefore it was possible she had been unconscious.
Rowe explained the graphic findings of the post mortem, including De Waal's badly burnt scalp and protruding tongue. Her left foot was burnt off her body and the soft tissue was burnt off her lower legs.
Her carbon monoxide levels were at 9.8%, which Rowe said was high.
"I would expect lower levels (because she was burnt outside)."
Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the "Sunday Rapist", is accused of murdering school girls De Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping and two of assault.
The 11 girls he allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all between 11 and 18 years old.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
On Tuesday, the court heard that an identikit compiled by a friend of De Waal's led to Steyn's arrest.
Steyn unresponsive
Policeman Warrant Officer Riaan Jooste testified that he received a call on October 17, the day De Waal was murdered, from a woman who wanted to remain anonymous.
Jooste narrowed the list down to 17 possible suspects, searched police files and found Steyn in the system because he had previously laid a complaint against someone else.
This led Warrant Officer Danie Pieterse to search for a silver bakkie at Steyn's house, which he found. He could not enter the property because the gate was locked.
During a break in proceedings, De Waal's mother Shereen commanded Steyn to look at her, but the unresponsive Steyn kept his head down throughout the day, a Bible beside him, making notes.
Forensic specialist Gina Rowe testified that soot and bloodstained froth was found when she examined De Waal's trachea and bronchi.
"It was inhaled into her lungs."
Judge Sida Kolbe asked if De Waal was alive for this to happen, to which Rowe answered: "It would have been an indication of life".
Foot burnt off
De Waal's mother Shereen gasped "Oh, my God", putting her hands over her mouth. But Rowe said there was not a lot of soot in her trachea, and therefore it was possible she had been unconscious.
Rowe explained the graphic findings of the post mortem, including De Waal's badly burnt scalp and protruding tongue. Her left foot was burnt off her body and the soft tissue was burnt off her lower legs.
Her carbon monoxide levels were at 9.8%, which Rowe said was high.
"I would expect lower levels (because she was burnt outside)."
Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the "Sunday Rapist", is accused of murdering school girls De Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping and two of assault.
The 11 girls he allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all between 11 and 18 years old.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
On Tuesday, the court heard that an identikit compiled by a friend of De Waal's led to Steyn's arrest.
Steyn unresponsive
Policeman Warrant Officer Riaan Jooste testified that he received a call on October 17, the day De Waal was murdered, from a woman who wanted to remain anonymous.
Jooste narrowed the list down to 17 possible suspects, searched police files and found Steyn in the system because he had previously laid a complaint against someone else.
This led Warrant Officer Danie Pieterse to search for a silver bakkie at Steyn's house, which he found. He could not enter the property because the gate was locked.
During a break in proceedings, De Waal's mother Shereen commanded Steyn to look at her, but the unresponsive Steyn kept his head down throughout the day, a Bible beside him, making notes.
Trial with in a trial - Sunday Rapist
As seen on News24
Magistrate Sune Jansen van Vuuren was testifying on Wednesday on the admissibility of a statement given by the accused, Johannes Jacobus Steyn, on October 14 last year in Krugersdorp after his arrest.
She said he was informed of his rights, including his right to have a lawyer present. He declined to make use of this right.
He told her he wanted no special treatment, only forgiveness.
"Ek wil net he my kop moet skoon kom [I only want my head to become clear]," she testified him saying.
"Ek wil net verstaan hoekom ek gedoen het wat ek gedoen het. As iemand my net daarmee kan help [I just want to understand why I did what I did. If someone can just help me with that]."
Jansen van Vuuren said Steyn did not want a long trial and he appeared calm, but emotional.
Steyn's lawyer Anton Lerm put it to her that his client was told what to say and paused before answering.
However, she denied this and said she would have recalled this.
Rapist feared torture
As seen on News24
Johannesburg - The "Sunday Rapist" was forced into making an incriminating statement, the South Gauteng High Court sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton heard on Wednesday.
"If he did not play along he would have been tortured," Anton Lerm, for Jaco Steyn, told the court.
Lerm questioned investigating officer Peet du Toit during a trial within a trail on the admissibility of a statement made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp.
Lerm said Du Toit promised Steyn if he made a statement and pleaded guilty, he would receive a short trial.
Du Toit replied: "Your honour, that is totally false."
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping and two of assault.
The 11 girls he allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all between 11 and 18 years old.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
Lerm said Steyn was promised the trial would go away quietly.
"That's absurd, how could I let the case go away quietly? It already had national coverage," Du Toit said.
Wanted him to escape
Lerm asked why Steyn was only brought back to Krugersdorp a day after he handed himself over in Margate in KwaZulu-Natal on 13 October last year.
Lerm said en route his client was left in an idling police vehicle with weapons inside.
He argued this was done to provoke Steyn to escape. Du Toit denied knowledge of this.
Du Toit testified that Steyn phoned him the day after De Waal's murder from Margate and said he tried to commit suicide.
Du Toit told him to hand himself over at the nearest police station and not meet halfway as Steyn had suggested.
Lerm argued that Du Toit told Steyn he should go to a police station because he would be shot by police if found.
Du Toit said this was untrue; he never said Steyn would be shot, he handed himself over willingly.
Lerm said the police docket and what Steyn should say to the magistrate were discussed with him beforehand.
Steyn feared he would be tortured if he did not co-operate.
Du Toit denied this.
"I find that totally absurd. He had a smile on his face [when he was brought in]. He was cool and calm. He greeted everyone by hand... He was not nervous. He said he wanted to clear his heart and was glad it was over."
Pulled over
Captain Martin Smith was recalled and corroborated Du Toit's testimony.
"The accusations that the accused are making didn't happen before me."
Warrant officer Andre van der Mescht was the last witness called to testify on Wednesday. He was one of the officers who drove Steyn from Margate to Krugerdsorp.
He testified that they didn't speak to Steyn and only stopped for petrol and once for food.
He said they were pulled over at a toll gate by police and asked who they were and where they were going. The conversation took no more than five minutes.
Asked by the State to explain why Steyn was only taken to Krugersdorp the day after he handed himself over, Van der Mescht said they had been working the day and the night before.
They then drove to Margate.
"It would have been very irresponsible to drive directly back with the accused."
The trial was postponed for cross-examination and the conclusion of the trial within a trial on Thursday.
"If he did not play along he would have been tortured," Anton Lerm, for Jaco Steyn, told the court.
Lerm questioned investigating officer Peet du Toit during a trial within a trail on the admissibility of a statement made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp.
Lerm said Du Toit promised Steyn if he made a statement and pleaded guilty, he would receive a short trial.
Du Toit replied: "Your honour, that is totally false."
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping and two of assault.
The 11 girls he allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all between 11 and 18 years old.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
Lerm said Steyn was promised the trial would go away quietly.
"That's absurd, how could I let the case go away quietly? It already had national coverage," Du Toit said.
Wanted him to escape
Lerm asked why Steyn was only brought back to Krugersdorp a day after he handed himself over in Margate in KwaZulu-Natal on 13 October last year.
Lerm said en route his client was left in an idling police vehicle with weapons inside.
He argued this was done to provoke Steyn to escape. Du Toit denied knowledge of this.
Du Toit testified that Steyn phoned him the day after De Waal's murder from Margate and said he tried to commit suicide.
Du Toit told him to hand himself over at the nearest police station and not meet halfway as Steyn had suggested.
Lerm argued that Du Toit told Steyn he should go to a police station because he would be shot by police if found.
Du Toit said this was untrue; he never said Steyn would be shot, he handed himself over willingly.
Lerm said the police docket and what Steyn should say to the magistrate were discussed with him beforehand.
Steyn feared he would be tortured if he did not co-operate.
Du Toit denied this.
"I find that totally absurd. He had a smile on his face [when he was brought in]. He was cool and calm. He greeted everyone by hand... He was not nervous. He said he wanted to clear his heart and was glad it was over."
Pulled over
Captain Martin Smith was recalled and corroborated Du Toit's testimony.
"The accusations that the accused are making didn't happen before me."
Warrant officer Andre van der Mescht was the last witness called to testify on Wednesday. He was one of the officers who drove Steyn from Margate to Krugerdsorp.
He testified that they didn't speak to Steyn and only stopped for petrol and once for food.
He said they were pulled over at a toll gate by police and asked who they were and where they were going. The conversation took no more than five minutes.
Asked by the State to explain why Steyn was only taken to Krugersdorp the day after he handed himself over, Van der Mescht said they had been working the day and the night before.
They then drove to Margate.
"It would have been very irresponsible to drive directly back with the accused."
The trial was postponed for cross-examination and the conclusion of the trial within a trial on Thursday.
Cops said Sunday Rapist must plead guilty
As seen on News24
Johannesburg - Jaco Steyn, dubbed the "Sunday rapist", said he was told to plead guilty when he took the stand in the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton on Thursday.
"I was told I was young. Plead guilty and go on," a calm Steyn told the court.
He was testifying on what police told him prior to an incriminating statement he made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp, the day after he handed himself over in October 2011.
He said he admitted to crimes he did not commit because he had a previous conviction.
"Take the punch... because you won't get out of this... go on with your life... this is the easy way out for you," he said police told him.
He said he was briefed on what to say by investigating officer Peet du Toit before making the statement to the magistrate.
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.
The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were aged between 11 and 18.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
Johannesburg - Jaco Steyn, dubbed the "Sunday rapist", said he was told to plead guilty when he took the stand in the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton on Thursday.
"I was told I was young. Plead guilty and go on," a calm Steyn told the court.
He was testifying on what police told him prior to an incriminating statement he made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp, the day after he handed himself over in October 2011.
He said he admitted to crimes he did not commit because he had a previous conviction.
"Take the punch... because you won't get out of this... go on with your life... this is the easy way out for you," he said police told him.
He said he was briefed on what to say by investigating officer Peet du Toit before making the statement to the magistrate.
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.
The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were aged between 11 and 18.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
Sunday Rapist says sorry for cheating
Johannesburg - Jaco Steyn, dubbed the Sunday Rapist, said on Thursday the forgiveness he asked for in a statement was for cheating on his wife.
He was testifying in the South Gauteng High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton.
Prosecutor Carina Coetzee was questioning him on an incriminating statement he made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp two days after he handed himself over in October 2011.
In it he admitted to phoning his wife, her mother, a pastor, and a psychologist and asking for forgiveness.
In these phone calls he referred to himself as a "monster" and said he wanted to stop.
However, he maintained this was because he cheated on his wife with prostitutes and other women, and because of his addiction to pornography.
He also wanted to make it right with God.
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.
The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were aged between 11 and 18.
The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.
Asked by Coetzee if he was not emotional at being charged for the murder of a child, he answered: "It was of concern to me, but not so emotional".
Coetzee asked Steyn why he attempted suicide before handing himself over to police.
"I'd rather die before I'd be locked up again. And with the uncertainty because of my previous conviction, and at that stage I was emotional," Steyn said.
Go on with your lifeEarlier on Thursday he testified he wanted to hire a prostitute the morning of de Waal's murder.
"I went looking for a good time... I went to find a prostitute... to get something I don't get at home."
When Judge Sita Kolbe asked further about this alibi, he said it was "very early" in the morning.
Steyn was testifying on what police told him prior to an incriminating statement he made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp. He said he admitted to crimes he did not commit because he had a previous conviction.
"Take the punch... because you won't get out of this... go on with your life... this is the easy way out for you," he said police told him.
He said investigating officer Peet du Toit briefed him on what to say before making the statement to the magistrate.
"I was told I was young. Plead guilty and go on," a calm Steyn told the court.
Coetzee asked Steyn how he could have found police actions against him threatening.
"They scared me into talking," was his answer.
Kolbe ruled the incriminating statement would be admitted into evidence.
"The confession is admitted into evidence at this stage. This ruling may be revisited at a later stage."
She would give the reason for her ruling later.
De Waal's mother Shereen told reporters she hoped her daughter would become an icon. She said attending court proceedings this week had been difficult.
"I am on medication. My nerves are shot, but I have to be here for my daughter. I have to be here for Louise."
The part of the trial involving De Waal would conclude on Friday with testimony from her sister Jessica.
Louise de Waal's Sister Testifies
As seen on News24
Johannesburg - The sister of murdered teenager Louise de Waal briefly took the stand in the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton, on Friday.
Jessica du Toit was questioned by prosecutor Carina Coetzee on her sister's make of phone and telephone number. She confirmed De Waal owned a Blackberry.
She was asked whether she tried to phone her sister on the day Louise was kidnapped on October 12 2011.
"Yes, the whole day. Her phone was off," Du Toit said.
She was testifying in the murder trail of Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the "Sunday Rapist".
Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.
On Thursday, Steyn was questioned by prosecutor Carina Coetzee about an incriminating statement he made to a magistrate in Krugersdorp, two days after he handed himself to authorities in October 2011.
In it he admitted to phoning his wife, her mother, a pastor and a psychologist, and asking for forgiveness for cheating on his wife.
He pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him. The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were aged between 11 and 18.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

